By MoyosoreOluwa A.
Scenario: Surfing through an e-commerce website, everything looks good but hey there is this particular bag that screams to my ears, ‘buy me!’. To be fair, I really like this bag and I know it definitely matches the purple dress hanging in my closet.
Girl 1: Okay! Okay!! Let me check my expenses for the month and see if I have extra cash lying around, a baby girl needs to treat herself well. Oh yeah, I can afford this just fine. (Purchases the bag!!!)
Girl 2: This bag really looks good but how do I tell Bobo I want to get a bag for myself, I just recently collected some funds for my upkeep for the month. I’d have to just admire this bag from the web.
Who would you rather be?
How do you feel when you can afford whatever it is you want at the very moment you want it? I am sure you’d feel happy, powerful, and let’s say ready to take on the world!
As a lady in her early 20s, I can speak for some and tell you that as much fun as it is spending other people’s money there is a different kind of calmness when you have your own money to spend to cater for yourself and those around you.
Asides the peace of mind having your own money gives you, it also prevents unnecessary ‘see finish’ and gives you relative control of your life.
I’m sure you’d agree with me that nothing beats having your own money as a human, and moreso as a lady. Do you have doubts?
Sure we all have differing personalities, upbringing and views which will definitely affect our choices in life. This is to say, it is not an almighty rule that a woman must have her own money, you might find it comfy being financially dependent, heck we all are dependent in our own ways.
I’ll give five (5) reasons why a lady should have her own money.
1. I want to be able to afford that pretty bag, I bet the same for you too. This is not petty at all, whatever it is you want within your budget, you can get.
2. It helps a lady to leave an abusive relationship. You are self aware enough to know you are a Queen and you deserve more than a lousy head that finds every opportunity to emotionally or physically abuse you because he funds your lifestyle .
3. You call the shots in your own life. You are empowered with a sense of fulfillment and pride that earns you respect from people around you. You feel good about yourself too.
4. How do you like being looked up to? As an industrious and hardworking lady you bet will serve as role model for some younger girls. I’m sure we all have a list of some women we’d like to emulate.
5. It gives you a sense of equality.
While reading through, I know you will have 101 more reasons why a lady should be financially independent. Please feel free to share with me in the comment section. Financial independence for females is everyone’s business.